Earlier this year, I treated myself to a subscription to my favorite print magazine, Anthology. Previously, I had always purchased the publication at Anthro, but I finally decided that receiving a copy in the mail would make reading it extra special. Turns out, I was right. My first copy arrived on Monday and I am in love.
Like I mentioned in this episode of Elise Gets Crafty, freelancing has definite benefits, including being able to write off inspiring reads as research materials when tax season rolls around. And let me tell you, I definitely turn to this publication time and time again for creative and business inspiration!
It’s magazines like this one that make me grateful for print, especially since my growing collection of back issues makes for a fun visual display on my living room bench. Paper, you guys. My love knows no end.
P.S. A friendly reminder that today is the LAST DAY to purchase any of my July 2014 rubber stamps! They will be gone by midnight :)
Another #GIRLBOSS nugget of wisdom for you today!
As I lay in bed last night dying from the summer heat (a portable A/C unit in our bedroom can’t come fast enough!), I powered through more of this awesome book and found myself making mental notes of all the little gems that are sprinkled throughout each chapter. SO MANY GEMS. I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do, who I want to be, and where I want to take my career post-baby and this particular quote totally struck a chord with me.
P.S. It may seem as though all I do these days is read. Not so! I spend plenty of time on Instagram too ;)
The other night before I climbed into bed, I decided that I didn’t want to read another book on babies. I didn’t want to read another chapter on sleep training. I didn’t want to read about French parenting styles vs. American parenting styles. (At least for one night.) Instead, I wanted something completely different.
Thus, I bought #GIRLBOSS on my Kindle and devoured as much of it as possible before my eyes couldn’t stay open any longer. It’s so fascinating! I’ve seen a bunch of ‘grams with people raving about the book recently, I figured I might as well jump on the bandwagon too. There are so many nuggets of wisdom sprinkled throughout, but one of my most favorite quotes is:
BOOM. Love that.
If I’m not catching up on what fruit my baby is this week (she’s a pineapple) or reading Great with Child, then I am MOST CERTAINLY spending my last few minutes of each evening feverishly scrolling through Instagram in search of inspiring moms to follow. Clearly I have a one-track mind these days ;)
Here are some of my favorite feeds that make me so excited to have a little person of my own:
From left to right, top to bottom:
1. @bebeandprince | 2. @angelahardison | 3. @evablack_ | 4. @melissabomba | 5. @houseinhabit | 6. @tori__hendrix | 7. @joanneschuck | 8. @whitneyjohnson | 9. @karlaquiz
lllustration by Lisa Congdon
Even though I work from home and Mondays and Fridays are virtually the same thing, Friday is definitely my favorite day of the week. I love the last minute rush to get projects completed before John picks me up from my walk on his way home and we discuss our weekend plans (or even better, our lack thereof). With just a few short weeks to go before a certain someone makes her debut, I’m savoring every last moment that I have with my husband all to myself ;)
Here are links to fun things that caught my attention this past week:
- My friend Eva’s gorgeous family + nursery on 100 Layer Cakelet.
- Jess Lively’s interview with Victoria Smith on the latest episode of The Lively Show.
- This Ron Swanson quote which perfectly sums up the way I feel 99% of the time.
- An impossibly cute dream catcher tutorial.
- A Paper Party! Can this be the theme of all of my birthdays from here on out?
- The adorable video promo for what I imagine to be an adorable book! (So many kids’ crafts books that I want!)
- This round-up of bunny love. (P.S. Have you seen this site before? Incredible!)
- Oh Joy’s beautifully colorful recount of her trip to London.
- These pastel wedding bouquets! They couldn’t be more opposite than the arrangements I chose, but SO STUNNING.
Happy Friday! Have a wonderful weekend!
Lately I’ve been bursting at the seams with inspiration + ideas. I’m inspired by:
- My BFF’s new Silver Lake apartment (oh, how I wish she had a blog…she’s a DIY queen!).
- Thrifting for cutting boards to hang in aforementioned BFF’s kitchen. I love thrifting for other people!
- Instagram! Somedays it’s just scroll, scroll, scroll without anything grabbing my attention, but recently, it’s been taking me an hour to get from the top to the bottom because I have to stare at every single photo for a solid minute! (And then screenshot it, of course.)
- Jordan Ferney’s thoughts on decorating, via Cup of Jo.
- Everything on my Little Ones board.
- This quote, which totally speaks to my unnecessarily competitive self.
- And many other things!
Setting up shop on my parents’ dining room table.
I spent Easter weekend at home with my parents and of course, brought all the usual suspects: pajamas, my hair brush, and a giant bag of thrifted yarn + my loom. (You know, the essentials.) In the short time I was there, I managed to bust out three new woven wall hangings (and it don’t stop…), several yarn tassels, and a couple of tutorials to work into my blog post queue! I’m a big believer in acting on your creative impulses whenever possible. If something is inspiring you, drop everything and follow your muse! There’s so much to be said about what can be accomplished in a very short amount of time when you’re genuinely thrilled to work on a project.
And when it comes to crafting / thrifting / ‘gramming / pinning / photographing / and just about any other creative endeavor, the thrill is most certainly genuine.
I go through phases where I spend my last few minutes every evening either scrolling through Instagram + Pinterest or by reading a book on my Kindle. Lately I’ve been turning the former way more often than the latter, but last Thursday, I decided to revisit my Kindle and ended up purchasing Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind by Jocelyn K. Glei. Turns out, it was exactly what I needed to read! (What’s that saying about when you’re ready, the teacher will appear?) I quickly burned through half the book in a single evening and felt so inspired by the quote above, that I decided to create a new tradition: Friday morning coffee dates with my laptop and my to-do list. I am 100% guilty of waiting until my mood is “just right” or when inspiration strikes or when a deadline is dangerously close before I actually begin, so you better believe this quote was the kick in the pants that I desperately needed ;)
P.S. Normally I save work / life balance posts for my Workspace Wednesday series, but this quote just felt like the right note for kicking off of a killer Monday!
Lately I’ve been stumbling upon so many inspiring articles, books, and quotes that have been making my head spin (in the best way possible). It wouldn’t be fair of me to keep them all to myself, so here’s a list of my recent favorites:
- Rebuilding a strong brand. Sycamore Street Press is one of those companies that I totally admire (and adore!), so it was incredibly refreshing to read Eva’s candid account of SSP’s rebranding process.
- Anything from Braid Creative. Some of my favorite posts include designing your dream job, a new year for your creative business, and manifesting money + dream clients. Those girls are awesome.
- 10 Ideas to Drum up Business. Like I mentioned yesterday, I just discovered Nubby Twiglet’s blog this past week and have been loving her posts.
- Setting and Tackling Big Goals. What can I say? Elise is the master.
- Hello Brick + Mortar. I thoroughly enjoy this series of posts on Oh So Beautiful Paper’s blog!
- Tips for Shopping the LA Flower Mart. Super informative post for all flower-loving LA creatives!
- Creative Diaries series. Breanna Rose has one of the most beautiful blogs I’ve ever seen and her Creative Diaries posts are no exception. So inspiring.
- This quote. And this quote. And this one too.
- Money: A Love Story. I know I touched on this briefly before, but man. This book has been a real game-changer for me. I devour as many pages as I can every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed.
- The Stop Doing List. I can’t praise Danielle LaPorte enough. She is beyond all levels.
- Money Mindset Shifts. Marie Forleo’s site is another huge wealth of business and lifestyle wisdom. I dare you to just watch one of her videos.
- How Clutter Affects Your Productivity. Another gem that I randomly stumbled upon on Pinterest.
What awesome links have you come across recently?
I follow a few cool San Diego gals on Instagram and there always seems to be a common denominator amongst their feeds: Pigment! So of course, while in San Diego last week, I had to check it out for myself to see what the hype was all about. The verdict? Pigment far exceeded the hype. I mean, this shop has everything that I want: home goods, stationery, baby accessories, a succulent bar…!
I must have done five laps around the store, trying to take in every last detail, making sure I didn’t miss anything! I walked away with a Rifle card and a porcelain bunny nightlight for the nursery, but if money was no object, I would surely take one of everything.
Pigment, you’re a gem.
P.S. While in the North Park neighborhood, I also highly recommend stopping by Coffee + Tea Collective! Five words: BEST LATTE OF MY LIFE. Not only are the drinks wonderful, but the actual shop itself is modern, airy, and full of inspiring details that make me wish I was a local!
It’s no secret that I enjoy a good podcast.
As much as I love listening to music, sometimes I just want to drop in on a hilarious / insightful / inspiring conversation (without having to do any of the work, of course). My best podcast listening is done while cleaning house, taking a walk, or sitting in rush hour traffic. I have a long list of favorite shows that I frequent and am always on the hunt for new podcasts to add to my ever-growing playlist. Today I thought it would be fun to share some of favorite episodes from some of my favorite shows:
- The Lively Show: Blogging, Biz, and Motherhood with Erin Loechner – Anytime I can listen to a major blogger speak, I’m all ears. I am such a fan of Erin Loechner and I find her soft-spoken voice and humble outlook on her online success to be incredibly refreshing.
- After the Jump: Live the Life You Want to Live – Let me just say that Grace Bonney knows how to put together an inspiring podcast. I love when a new episode pops up in my feed, especially when it has anything to do with work / life balance, such as this one.
- The JV Club: Casey Wilson – Oh, Casey Wilson. How I adore her (RIP Happy Endings!). The JV Club is always a must-listen for me and this particular episode is so funny and touching, I could play it over and over.
- With Purpose: Kathleen Shannon - Kathleen of Braid Creative is constantly churning out solid blogging and business advice that helps me to rethink the way I conduct my own brand and online presence, so I was thrilled to hear her speak on these matters.
- Our Style Stories: A Conversation with Bri + Trey Denton - Random Instagram discoveries are my favorite form of social media kismet. It was a happy accident when I stumbled upon Hilary Walker because I adore her podcast; especially this interview!
What are your favorite podcasts? I love finding new gems!